Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Beckham's Birth Story

In recognition my little one's first birthday I thought it would be a great idea to share his birth story. I'm extra sentimental especially since this child is 'The Last of the Mohicans'. We are officially done. In all we have four kids total. The final score Boys-4, Girls-0!


So the story begins... We (I mean "I") sought out to give one last try for our baby girl. Let's just say it didn't turn out that way. It wasn't in our cards. I must digress for a moment and say that I wanted a little girl, I mean I really wanted one so badly that all I could see was pink months before we even found out the sex. We found out pretty early on because I had what was considered to be a high-risk pregnancy so we saw a Neonatologist at around 10 weeks. 

I know you're probably saying 10 weeks is too early but the ultrasound tech and my husband both said they thought they saw the makings of a boy on the ultrasound. Anyhow, we went at 14 weeks to one of the cutesy ultrasound places in the Mall. I was determined to find out I was having a girl. My husband and I even had a bet going on. In the end, guess who lost? Haha! Moi! 

I'm glad I can say I can laugh about it now but when I found out for sure at 20 weeks it was no laughing matter. I was seriously upset. I would even say on the verge of minor depression. I could not believe I was having another BOY! I mean we already had three. I planned this pregnancy out from the start in hopes of one final chance of having a girl, but as life or the 'Big Guy' upstairs who's in charge had other plans for our family. So I would like to insert here____ "We live in such a made-to-order society where everyone likes to push a button or for that matter take things into their own hands and plan their life from a menu without surrendering to God".

I know, I don't want to get religious here but it really annoys me when people have their whole life planned out including when and how they're going to do certain things according to their timeline. No one has that capacity except for the guy upstairs. So we must lay all of our burdens and worries onto him. If it is meant to happen it will happen according to his plan and His will be done.

Ok, moving on now...sorry for going off tangent. As I stated I was seriously upset and secretly loathing having another boy. It wasn't until my husband had a talk with me and said I can't believe you're going to let something so innocent like this affect me and interfere with the love for the being that was growing inside me. At that point I literally snapped out of my 'funk'. My husband was right! How could I let the fact that I was having a boy affect me so negatively. I mean there are some people that want to have a child so badly or those that can't and I'm complaining about having a boy? How selfish of me? Can I just say how amazing my husband is and how much I love him! Might I add, him buying me a cute Coach diaper bag that I had been eyeing for myself also helped me to get over it, and on MOVE ON too!
 
So, when it came time to pick out a name for our little boy my husband was so gracious to allow me to take the lead. I had full reign to pick the name given these guidelines of course: the name could not be unisex, after a car, state, country, cocktail or drink! Lol. Haha! Pretty tough guidelines, Huh? I guess Peyton or Maverick was out of the question.

We decided on Beckham Cole Williams. When I first heard the name 'Beckham' I fell in love with it and I knew it was the one. Besides, my husband's two sisters names are Becky and Coral so we say that he's named after his two Aunts. 

We have four boys and celebrate birthdays only twice a year. You ask how can that be possible? Well because we planned the last one! Our eldest and youngest have the same birthday, and the two middle children have the same birthday (unplanned).

Beckham was born Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 8:16 am. Did I say already that I planned this pregnancy down to the time and day I was going to deliver? Yes, my OB/GYN had agreed to deliver our baby on 10-10-12 at 10:00 am. I know I'm a little deranged but due to a scheduling conflict she had to deliver our baby early because she was on call. Yet, once again, I might state we can have all the plans in the world but "things happen" and our life can't be planned so perfectly.

However, I did arrive with a well-prepared birth plan that I had discussed with my doctor beforehand. It started with me having immediate skin-to-skin contact in the OR, Breastfeeding and wearing my very own designer delivery gown in the operating room. The same gown worn by Kourthney Khardashian, Kim Zolciak from
RHOA, and Tamera of the dynamic duo "Tia & Tamera" (Pretty Pushers www.prettypushers.com) because you know I had to be cute! I know shameful!

Here is our Lil Man. We were so happy to welcome him to the world.

Our little pumpkin. 

Having skin-to-skin with Daddy.
 
Beckham Cole 6 lbs, 10 oz. 19.5 in.

Life is pretty amazing!! Who would have thought that we would have had this precious gift? Thank you Lord for all the many blessings that you have bestowed upon our family and most importantly for my four Boys! 

No comments:

01 09 10